Leadership Fundamentals

I think I'll give it a shot. I know there are a lot of leadership theories in vogue and out of it. I studied quite a few while doing my MBA and Ph.D. But these insights are mostly my own, though they may bear a resemblance to theories living or dead.

The first thing a good leader needs is not an MBA, but clarity of vision for his/her organisation. Many flounder on this count, I think. As some great man said, "If you don't know where you are headed, the rest of it is a waste of effort." Just like when you are shaving, it's a good mirror (and lighting) that is most useful, rather than a great razor (I beg your pardon, Gillette).

The ability to appoint the right people for the right job (skill needed- being a good judge of capabilities), and lay out a vision for the key people. So they can achieve it (if they are the right people, that is).

Motivation- the greatest motivation for each type of job may vary, but for some, it is autonomy. For others, it could be tight monitoring (sales type of jobs where targets are what make or break a company).

Courage to sack people is another important one, if you discover that you chose the wrong person or that she is not performing in tune with organisational needs. Merit should count.

I think I will stop here, or else I may be tempted into doing another Ph.D. 




No comments:

Some Meetings are Just Too Good

 Ok, one such meetup happened yesterday, with old friends, Prachi Jain and Pratishtha Batra, of IIM Indore fame. There was a new member too ...

These Were Liked a Lot