Happy Bhag Jayegi- Film Review



Happy Bhag Jayegi leaves you feeling happy. The story of a girl running away from her own wedding is not new – Caravan had Asha Parekh doing it, and many after that- but ending up in a new country may be a first.

Right from the first scene to the last, the movie kept me engaged, with witty dialogue, fast-moving storyline, and general goofiness. Has not happened too often of late, I am sorry to note. This director did something right, obviously.

Piyush Mishra with his Urdu-spouting ways is a stroke of casting genius. He adds to the charm of the film. I have never seen most of the cast before, so I had no expectations. They bring to life a semi-philosophical romantic runaway comedy. Jimmy Shergill is getting good at playing the losing groom (Tanu Weds Manu 2) and does a good job again.

Abhay Deol is a favourite, so I would like him anyway. But Diana Penty has done a fabulous Happy (she is the hero), and the lovely Pakistani actress Momal Sheikh is a nice counterpoint. There is a subliminal message in this film-maybe only I caught it. The message is- Running away might make you happy.

No comments:

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot