Two Agatha Christie Films

Last week I got a chance to watch two Agatha Christie films back to back. Both had Poirot being played by David Suchet, who does a great job of re-creating the detective with his appearance and mannerisms.

Lord Edgware Dies was the first, in which there is a cantankerous Lord who is refusing to divorce a wife who wants one. There is the usual cast of characters, with an actress involved in impersonating famous people (she does a Poirot in her act in his presence), and a few relatives in need of money, and so on.
I was able to guess the ending a couple of minutes earlier than the denouement, but it was still a very good film.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd happens in a supposedly quiet village, which you discover is not so quiet. There is a poisoning which is never discovered, a blackmail, and a man in a noble profession who isn't what he seems to be. The plot is involved, and tough to guess.

All in all, a double treat. I remembered earlier movies I had watched- Murder on the Orient Express (I think Peter Ustinov played Poirot there), and Murder on the Nile, both brilliant films.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have seen only one movie based on Christie's books.

It was And Then There Were None based on the book of the same name. The ending of the book was incredible which has made it the biggest selling mystery of all time. However, the script writers, for reasons of their own, decided to change it to a more acceptable and, in my opinion, an idiotic one. And that was when I decided to skip all other Christie adaptations.

This was a long time ago.

Would definitely see Lord Edgaware dies as I have read the book. Thanks for posting your thoughts about the movie.

Rajendra said...

Lord Edgeware is actually the better of these two, in my view.

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot