The Life of Pi- the Movie

It is a completely different movie from anything I have seen recently, probably barring Zorba the Greeek and Norwegian Wood. The story is unique, though it has a few similarities with the theme of castaways wandering the sea and surviving to tell the tale.

Since I have not read the book, I did not go in with any expectations. My earlier experience of Ang Lee was in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which I thought was a very well-made film. Here too, some of the shots, particularly the night sky and ocean, are fantastic.

One of the things to learn from Lee is how to blend the ordinary and the extraordinary seamlessly. The most profound truths about life come in the most ordinary situations. The lead actor plays his part well. He is supported well by the rest of the cast, particularly the tiger.

A feast for the eyes, you will enjoy the cinematography, even if you are ambivalent about the rest of the film. Well worth a watch, I think.

5 comments:

Diamond Head said...

I heard the interview with Ang Lee on Public Radio the other day re making of PI. It definitely opened up the career for this kid from Delhi who got the lead role. I think Lee is a serious director who makes quirky product. I am going to see if I can take the little one to watch this 3D production. I sort of remember reading the book - was not my cup of tea.

smita said...

seamlessness- a rare trait..i am quite fond of this word...
this movie m going with my cartoon netwrok tonite!

Harimohan said...

I read the book - and at that time did not understand the parallels and metaphors. Would love to see the movie because it was definitely one of the most difficult stories to make into a movie. And perhaps attempt a re-read of the book again.

Meghna said...

This is not the genre I am usually attracted to, but maybe I will try watching this and also read the book. I always prefer reading the book before watching the movie though. But the reviews intrigue me. Here's another one I read, by a friend.

http://redgrey.blogspot.in/2012/11/life-of-pi-movie-musings.html

Rajendra said...

Yes, Hari, it is a difficult subject. The director is very skilled at his craft, to make it very, very interesting. I did not hear a single yawn!

Meghna, that was a layered review on his blog, just like the movie. I somehow never felt like reading the book..might reconsider.

Some Meetings are Just Too Good

 Ok, one such meetup happened yesterday, with old friends, Prachi Jain and Pratishtha Batra, of IIM Indore fame. There was a new member too ...

These Were Liked a Lot