Common Errors in English

Not claiming that I am Superman or anything, but there are some common errors we make while using the Language- the Queen would be jumping up and down on her barge on the Thames. Some I can remember are-

Saying 'I could not able to finish the job.'

Using 'loose' instead of 'lose'- this is an epidemic of sorts-all-pervasive.

'Myself Rajendra Nargundkar' as an intro to yourself. Wish more people were inspired by the famous line- My name is Bond. James Bond.

I will revert back to you. Contains a redundant word.

Why you are doing this? Correct words in the wrong sequence.

Reminds me of a joke related to this.
 A government official was explaining the rules for admission into a security area-  "If you have ID, ENTRY. Otherwise, DYSENTRY."








4 comments:

Meghna said...

True, and this goes on and on. Nobody realises their not there mistake. And they talk about etiquettes instead of etiquette. Also, the likes of "many a timeS" and "both of you all have a done a good job" are all over.

Diamond Head said...

I heard someone say this on the phone once - I am in the toilet

Rajendra said...

Diamond Head, luckily we don't use video phones...

Meghna, even journalists make these kinds of mistakes, and some school teachers, so the new learner has few role models.

Meghna said...

So true..

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot