Urdu Words

Urdu words fascinate me no end. I don't always understand them but here are a few I looked up or defined based on my best guesses.

Tilismath- Magic (Hyderabad has a unani medicine called Zinda Tilismath)

Jazbaat- Emotions

Zarra- Particle (not to be confused with Zorro)

Tarkash- Quiver, a container for arrows

Tamanna/Arzoo- Wish

Justaju-Quest

Maikada- made famous by Pankaj Udhas (India's answer to Punk) in his ghazal 'Ek taraf uska ghar ek taraf maikada' , means 'Bar'

Happened to see two songs starring heroines who disappeared after a (presumably) brief career- Vimi in Hamraaz, and Kumud Chugani in a nice song from the movie Vaasna. No idea what became of them.

2 comments:

Diamond Head said...

Riddle - guess what a Maikada-Mulayam translates to?

smita said...

Urdu language apne aap me ek Gazal hai..

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot