Practical Sufism

I am not a Sufi, but reading about the 'ism' has been on my list for a while. Some books I had earlier browsed through at bookstores (yes, I am a relic who does my browsing physically) were a bit esoteric, and I left them alone. This one by Phillip Gowins was a trifle friendly looking, and I managed to read it in a couple of days. On the plus side, it is not dogmatic. It is quite funny, witty and well-written. It sticks to the basics, as one can imagine, because words are probably inadequate to explain faith.

Experience may do something to you if....as many mystics and gurus insist, and some philosophers- particularly J. Krishnamurty. This one insists that you must have a teacher, and work your way up the ladder of enlightenment. I have read a couple of others who differ, and say it can happen pretty quickly. It is a good intro, peppered with personal experiences from the author. Interesting stuff, though it would take more than a book to become one, if you were inclined. But like all great streams of thought, worth a thought!

No comments:

Some Meetings are Just Too Good

 Ok, one such meetup happened yesterday, with old friends, Prachi Jain and Pratishtha Batra, of IIM Indore fame. There was a new member too ...

These Were Liked a Lot