Services Marketing- Lessons from Thailand

Why do I get the feeling that we are a nation of sour-pusses whenever I visit Thailand? What does it take to smile, joke, be friendly with anyone you come across? Why are we 'like this only?'

Just came back from another visit to play golf there. But this is not about golf. It is about service. Even apart from the smile, I saw a few things and they left me thinking, "Why can't we be like these guys?", on the lines of the My Fair Lady Song, "Why can't women be (more) like Men?" The Thai people are prone to smiling, and even joking, with the limited knowledge of English that they (the people on the road) have. More importantly, they take pride in doing their work, mostly without direct supervision. Can you imagine that happening in our country? I can't. One of the managers in a company (in India)used to joke that"follow-up" was the largest industry in our country, because people will not do what they are supposed to, or what they promised they would.

All appointments, like the taxi driver, the tour guide, were kept meticulously. People apologised even when they didn't need to, because it was not their fault. Smiling is like a religion. So is light hearted banter with anyone at all.

I also saw Alcazar, the revue or variety show again. It was amazing the second time too. Why can't we do something on those lines, beats me.

Of course, it's not all hunky dory. They have their problems. Education seems to be missing in a big way, for example. But looking at them, you wouldn't guess it. We seem to be carrying the burden of the whole world, on the other hand.

One other thing. Their lyrical, sing-song way of talking is really nice to hear.

3 comments:

Harimohan said...

Raja,
That inspires me to smile more often starting now. One thing I can do certainly. But is does occur to me often, why we are 'like this only'.

Diamond Head said...

Agreed. Although to a Marathi Manus the first introduction to their Thank yous is a bit scary being it sounds similar to 'Kapun Khaa'

Rajendra said...

Yeah, Hari, I can see you smiling. Keep it up!
Diamond Head, yes, Kapun kha is positively murderous intent, but the smile takes the scare away pretty fast.

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot